Repower Maryland: Offshore Wind
Too much of our energy comes from dirty sources that harm our environment. But by harnessing the power of the wind blowing off our shores, we can repower our lives with clean energy that doesn’t pollute and never runs out.
Here in Maryland, offshore wind is a powerful but untapped resource
The area off our coast, just 12 miles out from Ocean City, has the potential to be one of the most productive areas for harnessing wind power in America. By taking advantage of this resource, Maryland could one day power 1 million homes with clean, pollution-free energy.
Some companies have expressed an interest in building turbines off our coast, but the rules are still stacked in favor of those seeking to build plants that burn dirty fossil fuels. We're calling on the General Assembly to take a stand and require utilities to tap the power of offshore wind.
In the months ahead, we'll be working with Gov. Martin O'Malley to secure critical legislation that coul move us closer to a clean-energy future.
Clean, home-grown, pollution-free
Maryland still gets two-thirds of its power from dirty, polluting coal. And, much of our electricity is imported from other states, leaving power lines badly overstressed.
With the General Assembly's leadership, Maryland could change direction. An offshore wind farm would clear the air, create jobs around innovative technology, and generate home-grown electricity.
A single wind farm could satisfy 10% of the electricity usage of all Maryland's homes and small businesses.
With your help, we can win
By taking timely grassroots action online, you can help tip the balance in favor of offshore wind in Maryland.
Urge your local leaders to get serious about bringing offshore wind turbines to Maryland.
- The area off our coast, just 12 miles out from Ocean City, has the potential to be one of the most productive areas for wind power in America.
- A single offshore wind farm could satisfy ten percent of the electricity usage of Maryland homes and small businesses.
- By taking full advantage of offshore wind in Maryland, we could one day power 1 million homes with clean, pollution-free energy.
- Wind Energy for a Cleaner America II
- Lighting The Way
- Wind Power for a Cleaner America: Reducing Global Warming Pollution, Cutting Air Pollution, and Saving Water
- The Turning Point for Atlantic Offshore Wind Energy: Time for Action to Create Jobs, Protect Wildlife, & Secure America’s Energy Future
- Charging Forward: The Emergence of Electric Vehicles and Their Role in Reducing Oil Consumption